The Tomorrow's Teachers Teaching Academy is a joint initiative by Somerset Partnership Teaching School, Wessex Teaching School, South Somerset 14-19 Partnership and the Yeovil Federation.
The programme provides a unique opportunity for students in Years 10 and 11 to gain an invaluable insight into a possible career in teaching and explore the different and varied opportunities in the world of education.
The idea arose from discussions surrounding the increasing problem of staff recruitment and retention for all our institutions, the role of Teaching Schools in delivering teaching qualifications, and the development of education focussed Trailblazer Apprenticeships.
In summary, 'Tomorrow's Teachers' is a two year programme starting at the end of year 9 and running until the Easter of Year 11 which offers students:
- Teaching experiences in EYFS, Primary, Secondary, Special School and Further Education
- Sessions in partner schools including a learning walks, observations, interacting with students, a particular education topic, discussion with teachers and meeting NQTs
- The opportunity to identify a specialist subject area and to develop skills in that particular area
- Pathways and career routes information e.g. degrees, apprenticeships, initial teacher training
- A bespoke work experience week in Year 10 in which students select a school and are helped to plan their experience, including opportunities to teach and work closely with a teacher/mentor
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org